Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Writing What You Know (and other notes)

What scares/disturbs you?
(zombie apocalypse- how am I going to fend off my zombie boyfriend? cascade down the balcony to make my way to the George Eastman house? I CLAIM THAT PLACE AND YOU CAN'T MAKE ME LEAVE! Will I remember to grab the keys from my boyfriend after I've bashed his brains in? And what will I use? I have no weapons!)

What not to do: Worry about the cool factor.
Concentrate on what's 'cool' and you become too confident and lose the tension from the uncertainty factor.

Write what you know
internal experiences, study, experience... tiny things your character does for no forseeable reason, quirks, interacting with your surroundings. What you know is who you are, who your friends are, and thus, you solidify your character.

POV- 3rd person
Who is the 'camera' following? One character's pov per scene, please.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ghosts"?
  • Dead (socially, mentally, almost...)
  • History (haunting/connections)
  • Visible?
  • Haunting (something someone said, did, didn't do... something that follows you)
Zombies - control factor
Warewolves - transformation
Mummies - revenge

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Plot - have questions (answer them in your character's voice / POV). Follow your characters. What do THEY want (don't give it to them)? Read characters like desires (characters are desires and plot- without which, there is no story). What can go wrong? How will they go about getting what they want? Will they get it? How will they get around their dilemmas?

Remember - Change. Coping.

Draft - Throw away EVERYTHING.

No comments:

Post a Comment